A Little History
Tofte township was founded by twin brothers, John and Andrew Tofte and brothers Torger and Hans O. Englsen. They arrived in 1893, sailing from their home of Tofte in the Halsnoy district of Norway. They originally chose Carlton for the settlement, after nearby Carlton Peak, but the name was in use. The Toftes and Engelsons commercially fished Lake Superior. The North Shore Commercial Fishing Museum on the east side of Bluefin Bay is a replicate of the twin fish houses the brothers built after the colossal late autumn storm of 1905 ruined their first fish house.
In 1899 Edward Toftey arrived and opened up a sawmill, employing 25 men. The entire operation and most of the town were lost in a forest fire in 1910. Descendants of all three families have kindly shared artifacts, pictures and relics which are all on display at the museum
TOWN OF TOFTE COMMUNITY PLAN NOVEMBER 2015 - click here for a copy